Advertiser Disclosure: This post may contain referral, affiliate or sponsor links that provide Travel with Grant compensation. Thank you for your support.
Good morning everyone. Yesterday, I wrote this post: PSA: Get Yellow Fever Vaccine Before Visiting Nicaragua (& Some Other Central / South American Countries). At the end of that post, I mentioned that I had an amazing flight from San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) on 14 seat Cessna aircraft. Here is my flight experience with lots of photos and a short video of my takeoff and landing. I purchased the flight the night before (at the Managua, Nicaragua (MGA) airport) and the flight time was 50 minutes, with ~35 minutes of that in-flight.
After walking out of the San Jose International Airport (SJO), I walked around the corner to the very small domestic airport that only had 1 terminal. I was not able to check in for the flight online, so I checked in in-person and received this boarding pass (I was the second passenger to check-in). I also had to check my bag (for free) since only small carry on items are allowed.
Sansa Airlines flies to these 16 destinations around Costa Rica.
The domestic terminal did not have a standard X-ray machine, so the security officer manually checked my backpack and “wanded” me front and back. After that, I sat in the waiting area along with all of the other passengers flying out around that time. A few minutes later, the bus picked up me and 1 other passenger and we made our way to the plane.
Here is the 14 seat Cessna aircraft. I’ve never been on a plane this small. I was really excited and a little scared.
There were 2 pilots and 1 other passenger on my flight. The rest of the plane was completely empty.
I put my backpack next to me and buckled up.
Here is a short video of the takeoff. You can get a good view of the airport beneath us.
The small building with the orange roof above the wheel was the domestic terminal. It was tiny. The weather was good and I could see for miles outside my window.
Beautiful views of Costa Rica.
After a relatively smooth flight, we approached the Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR) airport.
Here is a short video of the landing. The total flight time was ~35 minutes.
If you have the chance to go on one of these short flights, I highly recommend it. If it weren’t for the other passenger on my flight, I would have had a private flight all to myself. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have a great day everyone!
P.S. Coming up next… my 3 part review of the Andaz Papagayo Resort :)
Here are all parts of my Central / South America trip:
- Adios Amigos! I’m Traveling Around Central / South America (LPB, UYU, GUA, SAL, MGA & LIR)
- PSA / Tip: Always Bring a Pen When You Travel
- Riding the Cable Cars (Mi Teleférico) Around La Paz, Bolivia for Under $3
- Salar de Uyuni: Bolivia’s Magical, Mirror-like Salt Flat Oasis (2018 Dakar Rally & Crazy Photos)
- PSA: Check Existing Airline Confirmations for Cancelled Flights a Few Days Before Travel
- Hotel Review: Courtyard Marriott Guatemala City & Amazing Guatemalan Restaurant Nearby (Casa Chapina)
- Visit the Amazing (93 Years Young) Guatemala City Zoo for $5
- Hotel Review: Sheraton Presidente San Salvador Hotel (Great Location, Lounge & Breakfast)
- Day Trip: San Salvador Volcano & Restaurant La Pupusa Loka
- PSA: Get Yellow Fever Vaccine Before Visiting Nicaragua (& Some Other Central / South American Countries)
- My Incredible 14 Seat Cessna Flight from San Jose (SJO) to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 1: The Resort is Beautiful
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 2: The Room was Great
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 3: The Food is Expensive, but Delicious