about-grant

Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about… Grant

Connect with Grant on Social Media

You can like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/travelwithgrant

Facebook

You can follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/travelwithgrant

Twitter

You can add me to your Google+ circle: https://plus.google.com/+GrantThomasTravelwithGrant/posts

Google+ Logo

Or you can send me an email: grant@travelwithgrant.com

I am always looking for new material to write about, so if you have any travel-related questions or questions regarding credit cards, please leave a comment below and I will do my best to answer your question or write a blog post covering your question in more detail.

137 thoughts on “Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about… Grant

1. Everett

Thanks Grant for the help with Google Wallet. Great start with the blog, and looking forward to more great posts to come!

1. Grant

Thank you for the comment Everett. I’m always looking for good topics to write about so if you have any travel questions, just let me know. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

2. choi

Grant, got a question about Chase Gift Cards, whats the max amount one can buy per month with a Chase CC ? thanks

3. Mark Duncan

Hi Grant, Love the blog. Great information. I have a specific question I’m hoping you can answer. I have a Bluebird account. Loaded it up with Vanilla Reloads purchased with Chase Sapphire Preferred to meet minimum spend. I’m good with that aspect.
    I want to pay my US Bank Mortgage every month with Bluebird for all the obvious reasons you’ve written about.
    US Bank Mortgage is one of Bluebirds online merchants. I called US Bank and they said they require a routing number. I called Bluebird and they said that online payments do not have a routing number. However the rep I talked to didn’t seem to understand what I was asking and kept talking about direct deposit from a tax return having a routing number.
    I wouldn’t think US Bank Mortgage would sign on to be one of Bluebird’s online merchants if they wouldn’t accept payment from them. I’ve read in multiple blogs that people pay their mortgage (but not specifically US Bank Mortgage) with Bluebird. So my question (finally) is do you know if online bill pay from Bluebird has a routing number attached? Or have you heard of people being able to pay US Bank Mortgage via Bluebird?
    Worst case scenario is I try the mortgage payment two weeks in advance and see what happens. If it’s denied, I can transfer money to my regular checking account and pay the mortgage as I normally have. Thanks in advance Mark

1. Grant

Good afternoon Mark, if you mortgage company is listed in Bluebird’s bill pay directory, you should be able to use Bluebird to pay your monthly mortgage payment. Does you mortgage payment have a specific account number? If so, you should enter that when you set up your bill payment. I would do a small $5 test payment and see if it goes to the right account. If it does, then do the rest of the payment and do that every month after that.

4. Jacob Reaves

Grant, Hey man check this out. Wells Fargo has a 5x (grocery, gas and pharmacy) for 6mo cash back rewards credit card and it has no limit. Thought you might be interested to know. I will be spending thousands at Rite Aid for the next 6 months. Planning on it netting me a few grand.

5. Yan

Hey, Grant,
    Do you know if there is a routing number and account number on the debit gift card? I am going to pay tuition fee soon but there is a fee involved if I pay with credit card. Could you suggest which kind of card I can buy at cvs to pay for the tuition fee? The payment need routing number and account number. Thanks!

1. Grant

Good morning Yan, Bluebird, GoBank and other prepaid reloadable gift cards have routing and account numbers. It might take 1-2 weeks to get those cards and accounts set up. When is tuition payment due? You could load up Bluebird and have Bluebird mail a check to the college, which might be easier.

1. Grant

You would need an American Express credit card that earns Membership Reward Points. Or you could get the Starwood Preferred Guess (SPG) credit card and transfer points to Asian miles.

6. choi

Grant, I do a lot of shopping at 99 cent store, do you know if its categorise as supermartket ? if not what is the category it falls under. thanks

7. Julianne

Grant is amazing at finding the cheapest flights and great deals! I rely on him before any vacation to compare rates! He is quick to respond and I look forward to planning my next trip thanks to him! Cheers!

8. J

i have a family with 4 citi AA exec cards as primaries and Chase Ink Plus (me primary and family as secondary) Whats the best way to maximize value on these cards for travel or points or cashback or whatever with everyday purchases. GC thru portals via new card? or any better way for quick big MS like with a stock brokerage account deposited via cc? I been spending too much time on this as much I love it all, and would like to get back to my other stuff if take care of the spend….no VR, they all wanted in on it but i am gonna be managing it all. I just can’t get it organized and figured out to where I can do something else… i was hoping evolve would pan out but its stricter. I can even do legit spend but and meet minimum but eventhough bluebird would cover that cc processing fee i would otherwise pay with property taxes, I do need a method to charge pay my real estate property taxes that are great than 5k. so i can get mileage and meet minumum and annual spend and not quit my day job…. for newbies, the learning curve is steep and setting things up legit first is more useful fort CC companies and credit bureaus than GC ways alone. I need to manage 4 people MS with citi aa and chase ink plus, and try to meet 2k/month for 6 months from Discover that they offered to come back to them after my first apporama ever. Disc want me to spend 2k/month for 6 months starting July. Citi and Chase not doing but something different. Would like to meet all of it on all cards for everyone. With high credit limit cards their must be a better way sorry if kinda tired, been up all night, BTW- anything worth doing with birthday and simon card, can using bday as real reason for MS to do large amts safely. online web trade accts or 5k at a time…??

1. Grant

Hmm, just use the AA miles for award trips and transfer Chase Ultimate Reward Points to their transfer partners. What other questions do you have?

9. Paul

Grant,

I got 2 discover and 2 chase freedrom cards. All 4 of them give me $6000 in gas limit till end of september. But, i can’t find any gas stations to buy visa or MC gift cards with CC. do you know any gas stations that let buy visa gift cards or MC gift cards with CC?

Thanks

10. Paul

Grant, I have done that before. I have such high limit with these 4 cards that I never need $6000 worth of gas in one year. I always wondered if I can buy the Visa or MC gift cards with the particular gas station gift cards!!! LoL

11. AJ

I was wondering: Serve has a bill pay feature, which includes mailing a check to an individual. Any reason you couldn’t have them mail a check to you yourself? That would be a simple way to cash out. I haven’t seen anyone say this. What do you know about this?

1. Grant

You would be better off sending a bill payment to pay a credit card bill or withdrawing the funds directly to your bank account. Both are easier and faster.

12. AJ

Interesting. Nothing on the site about this (even in your link), but you say that it works. I’ll give it a try. Anyway, back to my question: any reason you can’t have a check mailed to yourself? (assuming you don’t want to do direct withdrawl)

13. AJ

I did a withdrawl to my bank account. It seems to have worked (we’ll see if/when it goes through). Very strange that it so was hard to find; it’s buried in “settings”. Why are they hiding this very useful feature?…
    Thanks again.

1. Grant

Serve doesn’t want you to withdraw money to your bank account because they don’t make any money when you do that. They would rather that you spend it like a normal credit or debit card.

14. AJ

Hi Grant,
    May I ask you a question about Amex “offers for you”?
    If an account has 2 cards, and they both have a particular ofer, can you use both for the same offer? I saved an offer ($15 @ Walmart) to “my offers” in both cards, and when I ordered with one of them, I got an email from Amex saying that I used my enrolled card, but when I used the other card, I got no such email. Thank you very much.

1. Grant

Yes, you should be able to get the offer on each card that is enrolled. When you check your offers linked to your card, do you see the Walmart offer on the card that didn’t receive the alert? Wait a few days after the charge posts to your card and give AMEX a call to check what is going on. They should be able to help.

15. AJ

So, you’re not concerned that I didn’t get the email? I’m asking because I want to use the offer on a different card that is a second card on another account. You would just go ahead with it? Thanks!

1. Grant

Each AMEX card has it’s own offers, even authorized user cards, so as long as you see the offer linked to the AMEX card, you should be good to go.

16. AJ

Hi Grant,
    I’d like to pay utilities with cc, but they don’t accept it. I can use Serve. What do you think of that? Do you have a better suggestion?
    Thanks!

17. AJ

Thanks. I’ll look into that. Which cc is the best for utilities? Citi Dividend, Amex Blue, Barclay Arrival, Chase Freedom, Chase Slate?

18. AJ

Grant,
    You wrote earlier (correctly) that loading Serve with BoA credit card is considered a purchase. So why would you say that I wouldn’t earn rewards through Serve? Or did you mean through Evolve?

19. lucydney

Boy, I’m scrambling now, trying to MS. No more AGC’s. Target in my state does not offer Amex for Target.
    I am using my Delta Suntrust debit (wife and I).
    Buying One Vanilla gift card occasionally and liquidating thru money orders and evolve.
    I have 2 paypal accounts that I am loading cautiously. $500 each per week.
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

1. Grant

I use the PPBDC to load to my Serve Card and Chime Card. You can add an authorized user to your PPBDC and use the card to load to their Serve and Chine Card. That’s roughly $8,000 per month. Buy PayPal My Cash Cards with a credit card to earn points. Load those to your PayPal balance.

20. choi

Hey Grant, just got my Discover it card with the quarterly bonus. whats your experience with the gas bonus for comming Jan 2015. does 7-11 visa code works the same with Discover ? thanks man

1. Grant

I’m not sure, I haven’t experimented with my Discover It Credit Card at gas stations. I would wait until early January and see if anyone has any success stories to share.

21. Jey

Grant, I have a random question for you that I thought you might like to try to answer. I have a 2% fidelity Amex, and I’ve been put in a curious predicament. I had been going through the WorldPoints portal to get an extra 1% cashback for my gift card purchases from giftcardmall, and used that to cash out a few months ago. However, since that point in time, the points that I received through the portal have been rescinded. This has resulted in my points balance being -4,876.

From my point of view, I almost want to just never use this card again. I basically need to accumulate $2438 in spend just to get back to even, and can’t foresee a situation in which I want to do that. It almost seems that I am better off closing the card and getting a new one, starting off at zero. My only hesitation there is that I have had this card open for 5+ years and don’t want to lose that credit history.

What would you do? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jey

1. Grant

You have a Fidelity AMEX and used that credit card to shop through WorldPoints portal to earn cash back on GCM purchases, correct?

The -4,876 is the balance in WorldPoints, correct?

Since you already got your points cashed out, just stop using your WorldPoints account. Your Fidelity AMEX should be fine to go.

1. Jey

Sorry for not clarifying – the world points mall that is associated with the Fidelity Amex. It’s not separate – the best analogy I have is the Shop With Chase portal and Ultimate Rewards – they combine. My combined balance is -4,876. I tested making a $1 purchase – it reduced my balance by 2 points. Pretty much stuck….

1. Grant

It might be a technical glitch, you might want to call BofA to see if they can zero out your account, otherwise you should never use the Fidelity AMEX.

22. Max

Grant,
    Since this quarter is 5% for gas using Discover It cards, do you have any shortcut for identifying which 7-11 stores allow you to buy gift cards with a credit card ? I tried out 3/4 in my area and all of them wanted cash.
    That would also help in Q3 with the Freedom card.
    Thanks
    Max

23. Where's the LUV?

Hi Grant,
    I’ve been reading your blog for around a year now, and at the risk of brown-nosing, consider it one of my favorites. I don’t know if you have heard yet, but Southwest Airlines is making some major changes to their Rapid Rewards program, only they are not exactly explaining what that will be. Many avid travelers, including myself, are upset with this. It’s like they took a page out of Delta’s handbook.

In an effort to create awareness and perhaps convince SWA to revise their plans, I’ve created a Facebook page. Would you please consider sharing it with your readers? Thanks in advance.

1. Grant

I am aware of the SWA change, but like you, I do not exactly know what that will entail. I liked your Facebook page and will share it with my readers. Good luck with the Facebook page.

24. globetrotter

I often buy stuff on Ebay. Just want to clarify something with you. Do you get compensated when I pay via PayPal or after I win the auction? Meaning that I must bid on Ebay thru your site or I must pay via PayPal thru your site?

1. Grant

I earn a commission from Ebay when you click the Ebay logo on my sidebar and go to Ebay. From there, if you Buy It Now or bid and win an auction, I receive a commission after you pay the seller. Thank you for your support!

25. Llyas

Hey grant I would like to talk to you about our site we make it easy for you to give rewards and incentives. I saw that you were using them give me a shout.