PayPal My Cash Card Warning Email and Explanation
Good morning everyone, I finally got a few answers as to why my personal and premier (business) PayPal accounts both received the dreaded PayPal My Cash Card (PPMCC) warning email. For those unfamiliar with the email, this is what it looks like (generic email with no specific details as to what PayPal is accusing me of doing):
Here is what a typical month looks like for me:
- My premier PayPal account is linked to my Ebay account, has primary and authorized user PayPal Business Debit Cards (PPBDC), and a PayPal Extras MasterCard (PPEMC).
- I use my PPBDC for online Serve reloads ($200/day, $1,000/month) and my authorized user PPBDC for online Serve Reloads to my dad’s Serve Card ($200/day, $1,000/month).
- I always max out the $4,000 monthly limit of PPMCCs to fund my premier PayPal account.
- I also have a personal PayPal account that does not have a PPBDC or a PPEMC.
- I usually max out the $4,000 month loads of PPMCCs to fund my personal PayPal account.
- I normally move funds from my personal PayPal account to my premier PayPal account.
- I occasionally load my Serve Card at Walmart with my PPBDC to move funds from PayPal to Serve.
- Lastly, I usually pay my PPEMC with my PayPal balance which was mostly funded with PPMCCs.
After calling PayPal a few times and hearing similar answers from all of the PayPal representatives, I can give a more informed explanation of what caused the warning emails. All the representatives told me that paying my PPEMC (a credit card product) with my PayPal balance that was mostly/entirely funded with PPMCCs was a red flag, since it could have been used as a way to get a free cash advance from the credit card. I don’t agree with their logic, but I will not pay my PPEMC with my PayPal balance (now I can use Evolve Money and earn 1% cash back with my Discover It credit card). All the representatives said that using my PPBDC for all types of purchases and debit card transactions are fine (online Serve reloads and Walmart in-store Serve loads). I would caution not to use your PPBDC to withdraw large amounts of cash from ATMs (basically a more expensive way of withdrawing funds to your bank account).
I asked why my personal PayPal account received the same warning email even though I did not do anything similar to my premier PayPal account. They all said that since my personal and premier PayPal accounts both have the same name and address, they automatically sent out the warning email to both accounts. I was also told that loading funds to my personal PayPal account and sending those funds over to my premier PayPal account was fine, nothing to worry about.
So as long as I don’t pay my PPEMC with my PayPal balance, I should be good to go. *fingers crossed* If you have any questions, please let me know. Have a great day everyone!