Chase’s Secure Message Customer Service is Awesome (Converted Chase Sapphire to Chase Freedom)
My 2014 New Years Resolution was to get a cash back credit card from every bank and I am working on my resolution early this year. I have already called Citibank and requested that they convert my Citi AA American Express Credit Card to the Citi Dividend Platinum Select Credit Card. I am still waiting for that card to arrive in the mail, but you can read about the 5% rotating categories here.
Anyways, my next credit card on my list was the Chase Freedom Credit Card. This card is great for many reasons (5% cash back this month on Amazon.com orders and on select department stores – see this list). I did not want another credit pull, so I sent Chase a secure message asking them to convert my Chase Sapphire (basic, not preferred) Credit Card to the Chase Freedom Credit Card. Here was the process:
My first message:
Good evening, I would like to convert my Chase Sapphire credit card into a Chase Freedom credit card. I want to take advantage of the 5 percent cash back categories for this quarter. If possible, please rush delivery the Chase Freedom credit card. Thank you for your help and have a great day.
Dear Grant Thomas,
Thank you for contacting Chase inquiring the option to switch your account to a Freedom product.
Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service, and we want to apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.
I’d be happy to help you move into a card that better suits your needs. I am pleased to let you know that your account can be switched to a Chase Freedom with Ultimate Reward product.
Customers are eligible to earn 5% cash back (5 points per $1 spent), on up to $1,500 in purchases each quarter in categories that change like gas stations, restaurants, and
more. Quarterly activation required. Customers also earn a full 1% cash back or 1 points per $1 spent on all other purchases with no caps, tiers or expiration. Chase checking account customers can also earn an extra 10% annual bonus on points earned on new purchases. Both the Chase Freedom and Chase checking account must be open as of 12/31. Your Chase Freedom card gives you access to Ultimate Rewards, Chase’s world-class rewards program that
makes it easy to get your cash back and more. Product includes a 3% foreign transaction fee for any transactions made in a foreign currency or made outside of the United States of America, including some internet transactions.
From October 1st through December 31st, earn a total of 5% cash back on the first $1,500 spent at select department stores and Amazon.com when you activate by December 14th.
Continue to earn 1% cash back on all other purchases. Activate 5% cash back every 3 months when categories change.
Your account number will not change. So there is no need to notify merchants where you have automatic bill payments set up. The benefits and terms of your account, however are subject to change. If these changes occur we will notify you. The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) will not change.
– All enrolled features on the account will be retained.
– New Cardmember Agreement will be sent with new card. Terms and conditions (i.e. APR, fees) on the new account will be the same as those on the old account. Any promotional balances attached to the old account will transfer to your new account based on terms of the original promotion.
– If you have previously been excluded from receiving solicitations, you will continue to be excluded going forward.
– Mr Thomas, rewards points will be transferred to the new program at a rate of one point to one point.
– With your new program, rewards do not expire. Any rewards we’re transferring will not expire. The rewards balance and cycle to date earnings will transfer and be available after 3 PM on the next business day. Please note that ability to redeem may be delayed by holidays.
– This reward product also offers a bonus earn shopping site. There will be no changes to any rewards earned by your previous shopping site purchases.
– Please note that your expiration date and signature panel code will change. If you have automatic charges billed to this account, you will want to inform those merchants of the new expiration date once you receive your new card(s).
If you wish to proceed with this request, please reply using the Secure Message Center. Your request will not be processed unless we receive your confirmation.
If you have any further questions, please reply using the Secure Message Center.
Good evening, please proceed with the conversion of the Chase Sapphire to the Chase Freedom credit card. Thank you. Happy holidays.
Dear Grant Thomas,
Thank you for contacting Chase with regards to change your account to a Chase Freedom card.
I am pleased to confirm that I have changed your account to a Chase Freedom card as requested. You should be receiving your new card within 10 business days at the
address on file. For your convenience, you may continue to use your current card until you activate the new one.
Please be advised that your account number has not changed.
I am pleased to process your request. If you have any further questions, please reply using the Secure Message Center. Happy holidays.
Shortly after that response, I checked my Chase account and saw the new credit card had replaced my Chase Sapphire credit card.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.