Good morning everyone, happy Friday. When I was doing research for my previous Hilton post (Hilton Ascend Credit Card: Unlink Citi Card; Set up AMEX Card; View AMEX Offers; Call for Retention Offers), I closed one of my American Express Hilton Ascend Credit Cards. A few days later, I logged back into American Express and saw a $95 statement credit on my account. That was surprising since I hadn’t used the credit card in several months before it was converted from Citi to American Express. I did some digging and found out that the $95 was a refund of my annual fee.
Without asking, American Express processed an annual fee refund to my closed American Express Hilton Ascend Credit Card.
What is even stranger, the $95 annual fee from my Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Credit Card posted on March 3, 2017. That is almost 11 months ago, but I received the full annual fee refund. I’m not complaining, I am just surprised.
I then live chatted with American Express. I asked the rep to transfer the $95 credit balance to my other American Express credit card. Here is the cleaned up version of our chat:
- AMEX: Hi Grant, how can I help you today?
- Grant: I want to transfer the $95 credit balance from my Hilton Honors Ascend Card (XXXXX) to my Blue Business Plus Credit Card (XXXXX).
- AMEX: Let me check the card accounts and I will help you with transfer. Am I chatting with Grant?
- Grant: Thank you, yes this is Grant Thomas.
- AMEX: Thank you for confirming your name! One moment while I look up your account.
- Grant: Thank you, I really appreciate your help.
- AMEX: A credit balance inquiry has been opened. The request can take up to 7 business days to complete. However in most cases the adjustment is processed in 48-72 hours.
- Grant: Perfect, thank you. That was my only question. Have a great day.
- AMEX: It was my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for choosing American Express, please click on the X in the top right of the chat window to complete our Exit Survey. Have a nice one!
There you have it, if you close your American Express Hilton Ascend Credit Card, you may receive a $95 statement credit as a refund of the $95 annual fee, regardless of when your annual fee was billed by Citi. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have a great weekend everyone!