Good afternoon everyone, I hope you had a great weekend.  A few months ago, I wrote Wells Fargo Discontinues Instant Issue Debit Cards Effective November 30.  In that post, I said:

After November 30, if you need a replacement debit card (if your current debit card was lost or stolen), you can no longer get a temporary debit card at a Wells Fargo branch – you will need to use the Wells Fargo app or call Wells Fargo (1-800-869-3557) to request a replacement debit card. Once your request is submitted, your replacement debit card will arrive via mail in 5-7 days.

November 30 came and went and there weren’t any more updates, until my recent Wells Fargo checking account statement closed a few days ago.  I will go into my details below, but long story short, Wells Fargo will no longer issue temporary debit cards and is discontinuing the ATM Access Code feature, both changes are effective on April 1, 2021.  Read on to learn more.

Here are the new changes, effective April 1, 2021, that appeared on my February 19 checking account statement.  There are 2 different changes, so let’s talk about the first change first.

November 30, 2020 change:

Effective on or after November 30, 2020, (1) Wells Fargo branches will no longer be able to issue Wells Fargo Instant Issue Debit Cards and/or Business Instant Issue Debit Cards in certain circumstances, and (2) Wells Fargo branches in the states of South Carolina and Washington will no longer be able to issue Wells Fargo Instant Issue Debit Cards, Wells Fargo Business Instant Issue Debit Cards, and/or EasyPay Instant Cards.

If you need a replacement card, you may request one by signing on to Wells Fargo Online® or calling the number on your statement. Once requested, replacement cards typically arrive in 5 to 7 calendar days.

April 1, 2021 change:

Effective on or after April 1, 2021, Wells Fargo will no longer issue temporary debit cards, including Wells Fargo Instant Issue Debit Cards, Wells Fargo Business Instant Issue Debit Cards, and EasyPay Instant Cards.

If you need a replacement card, you may request one by signing on to Wells Fargo Online® or calling the number on your statement. Once requested, replacement cards arrive by mail in 5 to 7 calendar days.

Before November 30, 2020, you used to be able to get instant issue debit cards at Wells Fargo branches.  That ended on November 30, 2020.  After April 1, 2021, Wells Fargo will no longer issue temporary debit cards of any kind, you will need to wait for a replacement debit card to arrive via mail.

The second announcement is in regards to the ATM Access Code feature.  According to Wells Fargo, to use this feature, “Open the Wells Fargo Mobile® app, tap Menu in the bottom bar and select Cards, ATM Access Code, and then the Get Code button. You will receive a code that you can use at any Wells Fargo ATM.”  This is helpful if you need to access your Wells Fargo accounts, but you do not have your Wells Fargo debit card with you.  Well, that feature is going away on April 1, 2021.

The easiest workaround is to add your Wells Fargo debit card to your mobile wallet (ApplePay, Google Pay, etc.) and then tap your phone on the Wells Fargo ATM to sign into your account.

That will work great… most of the time, unless the Wells Fargo location you want to access requires a physical card for entry (usually after business hours).

These changes are not good, but should not cause too much trouble until you lose your debit card and do not have a smart phone with a mobile wallet.  If you have any questions about either change, please leave a comment below.  Have a great day everyone!

21 thoughts on “Wells Fargo Discontinues Temporary Debit Cards & ATM Access Code Feature (Effective April 1)

It seems like a cool feature, but Apple Pay was always easier for me to tap my phone vs. signing into the Wells Fargo app.

How often did you use the ATM Access Code feature?

1. Carl

I’ve used the access code feature many times but never realized Apple Pay was an option. That would be more convenient. Thanks for the tip.

2. Boraxo

That’s pathetic – I remember the days (and commercials) when visa and Amex would overnight a replacement card to you anywhere in the world.

That said I do not use visa debit cards – too risky to have a visa attached to my checking account and too many real credit cards that offer bonus points for spend. Get an ATM only card without the visa logo – you’ll be glad you did.

That seems pretty convenient. Have you tried adding your Wells Fargo debit card to your mobile wallet? That works equally well, in my opinion.

3. Janine

Does anyone wonder why Wells Fargo is discontinuing the ATM access code? It was so convenient for my son to deposit checks for me in CT when I am in FL.

Hi Janine, I don’t have any hard evidence, but maybe since it was so easy for people to access the ATM, maybe there were fraud or security concerns that Wells Fargo wanted to stop this feature. I’m not sure.

4. Andre

I don’t see the purpose of removing their ATM access code. In a shopping center near my house, there are two Wells Fargo ATMs, both of them are often slow or out of service. I have had my card shredded inside of the ATM because it goes out of service mid-transaction and destroys the card instead of returning it. It was during holiday so the bank itself was closed. Waited for a new card, during that time I found out about ATM access code. It made it much more convenient to use the code as it removes the inconvenience of my card being shredded during a simple ATM visit.

Hi Andre, I’ve never had an ATM shred my debit card but that sounds scary. If you have a smart phone that supports mobile wallets, you should add your Wells Fargo debit card to your mobile wallet. That way you can access the ATM and don’t need to worry about your debit card getting shredded.

5. Meredith Smith

I have my Wells Fargo debit card in my iPhone wallet but unfortunately it didn’t work at the ATM in Fullerton, CA. I’m very unhappy with Wells Fargo and I will pay them back by going inside and taking up the teller’s time by processing my deposits and withdrawals. I will never again place my debit/check card in an ATM slot. Before I could access the ATM with an access code it ate my card. If it wasn’t for direct deposit I would close my account in a heartbeat. They really are the worst what with making you change your password every 2 months. I paid off my credit card with them just because of that. Everything they do inconveniences most of their customers. They actually gave us something good and then they take it away. No telling what they’ll do next to make life and banking more difficult.

Hi Meredith, I’m sorry the Wells Fargo ATM did not work with your ApplePay wallet. Hopefully the teller was able to help you inside the branch.

6. Lexy Medley

This is really shitty of them to do. These convenient features were some of the only reasons I chose Wells Fargo. I’ve been with them for 7 years and won’t continue because they have done this.

Hi Lexy, I’m sorry you had a bad experience with Wells Fargo. I don’t blame you for leaving Wells Fargo. If their technology and bank doesn’t fit your needs, I’m sure there is a bank or credit union happy to have you as a customer.

7. Rebecca Gindlesperger

It is mind blowing that they would get rid of the feature. They really are making it difficult for the people whom work a 3rd shift and why people use them in the first place.

I mean they don’t think things through examples……

1. First they started refusing CASH DEPOSITS from a person unless that person is on the account ( which would allow the person to also withdrawal money, *even if they should not*),

2. then they get rid of the Instant card so if you lose your card or it gets stolen you are kinda SOL for however long it will take them to send a new one, and sure there is always the mobile wallet thing BUT that leaves the question of what happens if you break, lose, or have stolen your phone durning this waiting time?

3. AND NOW they discontinued the Access code for people in the above situation whom do work a 3rd shift to have to wait 2 hours past the time they go to sleep just to have to go deal with standing in line and wasting their time.

Wells Fargo is really becoming un-customer friendly!!!

Hi Rebecca, I totally understand your issues with Wells Fargo and how their changes have big impacts on their customers. Do you plan on staying with Wells Fargo for the near future?

Got something to say?