Good afternoon everyone, I hope you had a great weekend. A few weeks ago, I was planning on applying for the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Credit Card. As of October 18, the current sign up bonus is 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points plus 2 Free Night Certificates (up to 50K Points / Night) after spending $5,000 in 3 months. I have never had this specific credit card before, so now seemed like a great time to pick up this credit card with an increased sign up bonus. Before I applied, I reached out to American Express via their online AMEX Chat feature to see if I was eligible. I will explain more below, but long story short, the AMEX Chat rep said I was eligible, but the AMEX popup said I was not eligible.
In the above image, there is a small link for Offer & Benefit Terms that explains the eligibility requirements for this credit card. Here is what the first 2 paragraphs say:
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BusinessTM Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Rewards® Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus offer in the last 24 months on the Marriott Bonvoy BoundlessTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy BoldTM Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott BonvoyTM Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase.
The second paragraph is pretty confusing, but the first line of the first paragraph is important to me because I had an AMEX SPG Business Credit Card from March 2017 to April 2018. I was hoping that AMEX would still approve me even though I closed that credit card more than 3 years ago. I was skeptical, so I reached out to AMEX Chat to see if they could give me a definitive yes or no. Here is my AMEX Chat conversation:
- Grant: Good morning AMEX Rep.
- AMEX: Hello Grant, good morning! I hope you’re having a good day.
- Grant: Yes, so far so good. Hope your day is going well too.
- AMEX: I am doing great today too! Thanks.
- Grant: I’m interested in the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Credit Card, but I want to see if I am eligible for the card and bonus.
- AMEX: Given that you do not have that kind of card before yes, you are eligible for the bonus. And when you apply online it will be indicated there as well.
- Grant: That is great news. I had an AMEX SPG Business Card a few years ago, so I wanted to double check before applying.
- AMEX: I can understand. If that has been closed off long ago, and yes, you are eligible. The system will prompt as well before you continue with the application if you are eligible or not.
- Grant: OK, good to know. So if I go through the application and do not see a prompt telling me I have had the card before, I should be eligible for the card and bonus?
- AMEX: Yes!
- Grant: Thank you AMEX Rep, I appreciate your help looking into this issue for me. Have a great day.
- AMEX: You are most welcome!
Based on the above conversation with the AMEX Chat rep, I decided to apply for the American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business Credit Card. Unfortunately, I got the dreaded AMEX popup stating that I have / had this credit card in the past and that I was not eligible for the sign up bonus. If I wasn’t eligible for the sign up bonus, I wasn’t interested in the credit card, so I clicked the Cancel Application button.
The moral of this story is that AMEX Chat reps cannot 100% confirm if you are eligible for a credit card sign up bonus, you will only find out if you see the dreaded AMEX popup on your credit card application. If you have any questions about AMEX Chat or card eligibility, please leave a comment below. Have a great day everyone!