Big Changes to the AutoSlash Car Rental Booking Process

I booked a rental car today and then as I always do, I gave the booking to AutoSlash so they could find me a better deal. When I got the email saying AutoSlash had found me a cheaper price, I clicked through to see the deal, but I immediately knew something was different. The interface was different and then I realized they sent me to Priceline.

Before today, when AutoSlash sent you that “We Found A Better” Deal email, you chose the better deal and then AutoSlash handled the rest. They rebooked the car for you at the lower price, and the booking stayed with AutoSlash.

This new process is confusing, so after I rebooked at the lower price through Priceline, I sent AutoSlash an email with my questions about the NEW booking process and asked them what’s up. As I’ve mentioned before, the team at AutoSlash offers great customer service, so here’s what they told me. I’ve BOLDED the most important information you NEED TO KNOW. They are big changes in how the AutoSlash process works.

Hi Shelli,

Thanks for contacting us!

Since we’re able to find such deeply discounted rates, a number of rental car companies have taken steps to block us from booking with them. We’re still able to find rates for these companies—we just aren’t able to actually book directly with them. For these companies, we’re still able to help you book through other major travel sites, and so our emails contain links that take you to Priceline to complete reservations for these companies. The only thing to be aware of is that if you book through Priceline, we won’t be able to automatically rebook your reservation if prices drop. So, be sure to head over to autoslash.com/track and put in your confirmation number after you book at Priceline so we can notify you when a lower rate comes along. We’re still intent on finding our customers the very best possible rates, and nothing has changed in that regard. As for cancelling a reservation, you’d do that by cancelling through Priceline as they are the booking agency.

We look forward to saving you even more money on your rental car rates!

This creates a whole other step for us because now when we book our cheaper rates, we once again need to feed them to AutoSlash so they can keep working on getting us even better rates! I then asked AutoSlash if it really is important for us to cancel our car rental bookings or can we just let them expire. Here’s another piece of essential information.

Hi Shelli,

We always recommend cancelling any reservations you know you won’t be using. Rental companies have been more aggressive in adding fees for no-shows so it’s better to cancel and not need to worry about that. Even with rates that we offer they do sometimes have those fees in the terms and conditions, but would require entering your credit card info while completing the reservation.

I’m going to keep using AutoSlash even though I don’t like the new system because it creates more work for me. But they’ve never NOT found me a great rate and even with the rate I booked today, they’ve already saved me $53. I wanted to let you know about these changes as soon as I found out! If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments below.

25 thoughts on “Big Changes to the AutoSlash Car Rental Booking Process

1. tk

Uh, these Autoslash changes occurred many months ago — not “[b]efore today,” as you write — and have been well reported.

1. Shelli Post author

Good that you’ve known about these changes. It was news to me, so I’m guessing it will be news to many others as well. Thanks for reading and have a great day, tk.

2. Jack J

Thank you for reporting on this, as I missed this change somehow! Time to boycott hertZ and these other sleazy rental car companies.

3. Rjb

I used Autoslash a few times. Always found same deal at Costco Travel. The one time they found a better deal in Europe at Sixt. I couldn’t book it so I reached out. They told me they get a lot of “phantom availability “. I find Autoslash to be cumbersome with multiple steps involved for little if any saving. Pass.

1. Shelli Post author

Good to know where to get your best deals, Rjb, and shop those deals. I’ve never used them for an overseas booking. This change definitely makes their process more cumbersome, I agree. Thanks for reading.

4. Pingback: Daily Points: Bank of America's New 3/12 Rule, Sweet Spots on Alaska Airlines, Changes to AutoSlash and More! - Travel Miles 101

5. TimmyD

I first got that message from them late spring or early summer. I was booking for Oakland airport and they only had Priceline results. The past few times the best prices they’ve found for me where always the Priceline choices. The tracking hasn’t seemed to work for me, as I’ve started a new search with them and found cheaper prices that I wasn’t emailed about . I still think they’re great – good prices and great customer service.

1. Shelli Post author

HI TimmyD, That’s weird about the new search finding cheaper prices. Make sure when you book through Priceline to give Autoslash the updating booking so they can keep searching. I agree, good prices and great customer service. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!

6. Pingback: New Delta Amex Offers, Cheap Airline Elite Status, Michigan Trails, Glory Cloud - TravelBloggerBuzz

7. BobbyC

Today I submitted a new price request and got a better quote than I had received earlier. I thought that I should have gotten an email informing me of this lower price. I contacted AutoSlash and asked what was up. I was told that they only check prices once a day and that I would have probably received an email about that lower price later in the day. The new model is certainly more cumbersome but still worth the extra effort.

1. Shelli Post author

Good comment, Bobby. I agree, it is a bit more work now, but I still get good prices from AS so I’m still a fan. Have a great day and thanks for reading.

8. TP

Could not believe the deal we got last summer thru AS! The new arrangement sounds a bit cumbersome but I’ll try it once.

9. Jeff

I presently have a quote with AS at $255. The FIRST time I tried going directly with an enterprise reservation less than an hour after my AS quote THEY quoted me $242. How you say, “There’s something rotten in Denmark??”

1. Shelli Post author

HI Jeff, It sometimes takes AS time to email you with the better quotes they find. I’d be surprised if you didn’t get an email from them with a lower quote offer. However, you didn’t say how far out your reservation was for, so that could be a factor too. Thanks for reading and offering your data point. Hope you’ll see the price go down!

1. Chris at AutoSlash

Hey Jeff, we’re always happy to help and see what might be going on. Feel free to reply to your quote email and mention that you found a cheaper rate and we’ll figure out why there’s a mismatch. We certainly don’t have any intention of fulfilling your Hamlet reference–we’re a small but passionate group of frequent travelers ourselves and just want to help everyone get the lowest possible rate on their rental car rates and have built a pretty incredible system that does that, but if it’s not doing it, we would love to know where it isn’t so we can figure out why and make sure it does. If you reach out, there’s a pretty darn good chance we can identify the issue (could be anything from a slightly different pick-up/drop-off time you put into Enterprise.com to weekend maintenance on their system that prevented us from seeing their rate or any other number of reasons) and probably even beat the $242 rate you found at Enterprise. :)
        Safe travels!

10. BobC

Jeff –

I have no affiliation with AutoSlash rather than being a very satisfied long-term customer. Rental rates change very often so probably there was a price drop after you got the quote from AS. It is unclear if you just got a quote or whether you booked with them and then asked them to track your price. If you made the reservation and price tracked it I’m sure AS would have notified you. They don’t catch price drops in real time so it might take a day or so to be notified of a price drop. I’ve never had anything but positive experiences with AS. They have the best customer service of anyone I’ve ever dealt with.

1. Shelli Post author

HI BobC, Thanks for adding to the conversation. I agree with what you wrote. I’m a long-term satisfied customer, as well :)

11. Pingback: Top Travel Mistakes & How to Avoid Them: Part 2

12. Naga

I have a question on Chase Sapphire Reserve rental insurance coverage … now auto slash can book car directly without going thru priceline and in this case does Sapphire car rental insurance covers the car? since car rental not directly with Enterprise or National rather under auto slash … can you provide some insights pls?

1. Shelli Post author

HI Naga, Not exactly sure what you’re asking. The credit card you pay with, not who you book the car through, is what matters with insurance. It’s best to check with Chase to see what kind of insurance you get with your Reserve card so you understand the coverage.

1. Chris at AutoSlash

I’m guessing that Naga is asking about whether our new prepaid rentals will be covered by credit card coverage. Our understanding based on our personal experience as well as reading lots of comments on sites like FlyerTalk is that yes, prepaid bookings are covered. Most credit cards have language stating that the card must be “reserved and paid” with the card in question, and so as long as you’re able to illustrate that you paid for your rental with the card you want to use for coverage, that should satisfy that requirement. In some cases, such as with the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection program, you may need to call American Express and proactively notify them that the charge on your card is for a car rental in order to trigger the coverage, but that isn’t the case with most cards.

If you want to be sure of coverage, it’s probably best to check directly with the credit card coverage underwriter to make sure third-party prepaid bookings are covered, but to date, we haven’t heard anything that leads us to believe prepaid bookings won’t be covered.

Got something to say?