Black Friday! No, not the busiest shopping day of the year, but the day AMEX Serve sent out mass account closure emails with the subject line “Termination Of Funds Loading Capabilities on Your Serve® Account.” My account was flagged due to “observed unusual usage patterns.” I will explain what I was doing below, but here is what my email looks like:
I clicked on the Consumer User Agreement link and noticed that the AMEX Serve terms were updated on 1/5/2016 (just 3 days ago). I scrolled down to Section 15.d and the section is titled Suspension of Use; Cancellation; Closure. I underlined the important sentences and drew a box around “manufacture activity” which is basically Manufactured Spending. They are on to us.
Surprisingly, when I logged into my AMEX Serve account, there were no warning messages anywhere.
When I went to add funds to my AMEX Serve Card, I did get the following error message: We’re sorry – due to unusual usage patterns on your account, loading funds to your account has been disabled.
What is still working on a flagged AMEX Serve account?
- I moved funds from a flagged AMEX Serve account to another AMEX Serve account that is not flagged (yet).
- I made a bill payment from a flagged AMEX Serve account.
What are my current plans with a flagged AMEX Serve account?
- I haven’t called customer service yet to inquire why or how to overturn my account closure.
- I liquidated all my AMEX Serve accounts via bill payments.
- I will keep my accounts open with $0 balance and wait to see what happens next.
What was I doing with my 4 AMEX Serve Cards (me, mom, dad, and brother)?
- I never did any in-store reloads.
- All online reloads using the same US Bank FlexPerks AMEX Credit Card number (authorized user cards have the exact same number, but different names).
- I would load 1 AMEX Serve Card days 1-5 of the month, then the second AMEX Serve Card days 6-10, third 11-15, and fourth 16-20.
- I transferred all the funds from 4 AMEX Serve Cards onto 2 AMEX Serve Cards and paid credit card bills from those 2 AMEX Serve accounts.
I will update this post when more information and data points become available.
Did you receive the account closure email? How many AMEX Serve Cards do/did you have? If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. RIP old friend :(