Good afternoon everyone, happy Friday. I have a short blog post to share before I head to MSP for a short weekend trip. Yesterday, I received an email from Virgin America regarding my $150 off companion discount code. Last month, I wrote a post about downgrading / product changing from the Virgin America Premium Visa Signature Credit Card ($149 annual fee) to the Virgin America Visa Signature Credit Card ($49 annual fee). My new code is good for travel through 9/30/2018, so I have more than a year to use the code. Two months ago, I wrote a post showing how to redeem your Virgin America $150 off companion discount code. In that post, I showed how to search and book a Virgin America flight using the code and I also provided a warning for when not to use the code. Unfortunately, the code does have a lot of blackout dates and restrictions, so I recommend trying to use the code as soon as possible. Lots of holidays are blacked out, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Spring Break, and Fourth of July. I have the full terms and conditions listed below for reference.
Here are the complete terms and conditions for the code (my bolding for emphasis):
The Virgin America Visa Credit Card must be used to purchase travel in order to receive the discount. Virgin America is solely responsible for the electronic delivery of this Discount Code. Discount Codes will be sent via email only. To ensure receipt, keep your email address updated in your Elevate account. 14-day advance purchase is required. Promotion code expires September 16, 2018.
* The maximum discount per booking is $150 off the base fare of a round trip flight. This is a one-time use promo code and blackout dates and restrictions apply. Promo codes that are applied to ineligible flights based on the stated terms and conditions will not be honored. If a code is used on an ineligible flight the code will no longer be valid, however a new code can be issued by calling 1.877.FLY.VIRGIN. If base fare is lower than $150 value, remaining discount value will not be available for future use. Base fares do not include Passenger Facility Charges of up to $9 each way, September 11th Security Fees of $5.60 per one-way trip or stopover, and a Federal Segment Tax of $4.00 per domestic segment. A segment is a takeoff and landing. A stopover is a break in travel of more than 4 hours between 2 flights. For service to/from Mexico, base fares do not include the U.S. Immigration User Fee of $7, the U.S. APHIS fee of $5, the U.S. Customs processing fee of $5.50, a U.S. International Arrival/Departure Tax of $17.50 each way and additional taxes/fees of up to $70, including: Mexico International Departure Tax and Mexico Tourism Tax. One time use promo code is valid for non-refundable Main Cabin tickets only in fare classes N, S, L, I, M, U, E, H, B, or V. Promo code must be used by September 16, 2018. Travel must occur before September 30, 2018.
Blackout dates are:
- 11/16/2017 through 11/28/2017
- 12/15/2017 through 01/02/2018
- 03/15/2018 through 04/08/2018
- 06/30/2018 through 07/04/2018
Promo code may be used only towards newly booked travel and may not be applied to prior bookings. Promo code discount will be deducted off of base fare. Promo code may not be redeemed for cash. Promo code may only be used for bookings made on virginamerica.com and is only valid on round trip itineraries of exactly 2 guests and requires 14-day advance purchase. Offer is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offers. Seats are limited, subject to availability, and may not be available on all flights.
Since my Virgin America Visa Signature Credit Card has a $49 annual fee, I need to redeem the code to save at least $49 to break even on keeping this credit card. I am still curious if this credit card will convert into a Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Credit Card or a different Comenity credit card. If you have any questions about the credit card or the $150 off companion discount code, please leave a comment below. Have a great weekend everyone!