Hola amigos! My friend Jim and I am heading south of the border (and hemisphere) for a few days and visiting the following cities around Central / South America:
- La Paz, Bolivia (LPB)
- Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia (UYU)
- Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)
- San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
- Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)
- Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
If you want to see those cities plotted on a map, here is the Great Circle Mapper view. I left out the flights to/from San Francisco, the airline routing, and bus ride, otherwise the map would be too messy.
The 2 highlights on this trip are the world famous salt flats of Salar de Ayuni in southern Bolivia…
And the Andaz Papagayo Costa Rica Resort in Liberia, Costa Rica. The resort looks great and I’ve read many positive hotel reviews, so I am very excited to stay there. And at only 15,000 Hyatt points per night, it is a bargain!
Other than those 2 things, we do not have anything else planned. If anyone has been to Guatemala City, Guatemala; San Salvador, El Salvador; and Managua, Nicaragua; please share what are the 1-2 things you really enjoyed, meals you enjoyed, and sights you recommend seeing.
If you really want to see the whole routing, here it is, compliments to Great Circle Mapper again. I’ll be flying Avianca business class, United Airlines business class, Avianca economy, and Amaszonas economy flights. I will have my laptop on the trip, so I will try to blog during the trip. Shelli does have quite a few blog posts scheduled from her recent Lisbon, Portugal trip. Have a great day everyone, safe travels, and adios amigos!
Here are all parts of my Central / South America trip:
- Adios Amigos! I’m Traveling Around Central / South America (LPB, UYU, GUA, SAL, MGA & LIR)
- PSA / Tip: Always Bring a Pen When You Travel
- Riding the Cable Cars (Mi Teleférico) Around La Paz, Bolivia for Under $3
- Salar de Uyuni: Bolivia’s Magical, Mirror-like Salt Flat Oasis (2018 Dakar Rally & Crazy Photos)
- PSA: Check Existing Airline Confirmations for Cancelled Flights a Few Days Before Travel
- Hotel Review: Courtyard Marriott Guatemala City & Amazing Guatemalan Restaurant Nearby (Casa Chapina)
- Visit the Amazing (93 Years Young) Guatemala City Zoo for $5
- Hotel Review: Sheraton Presidente San Salvador Hotel (Great Location, Lounge & Breakfast)
- Day Trip: San Salvador Volcano & Restaurant La Pupusa Loka
- PSA: Get Yellow Fever Vaccine Before Visiting Nicaragua (& Some Other Central / South American Countries)
- My Incredible 14 Seat Cessna Flight from San Jose (SJO) to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 1: The Resort is Beautiful
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 2: The Room was Great
- Andaz Papagayo Resort Part 3: The Food is Expensive, but Delicious