Good morning everyone, I hope your week is going well. A few weeks ago, American Express released an AMEX Offer for Walmart.com where you can receive a $10 statement credit after spending $50 or more. Walmart.com sells several gift cards and egift cards, so I wanted to buy a $50 Uber egift card. Shortly after placing my order, I received a confirmation email from Walmart. All looked good until…
…exactly 1 minute later, I received an email from Walmart that my order was canceled. I didn’t even have time to put my American Express credit card back into my wallet before my order was instantly cancelled. So frustrating!
I decided to contact Walmart and see why my order was cancelled. I went to Walmart’s Help Center and clicked the Walmart.com button at the bottom.
I selected Orders, Shipping & Tracking from the first drop down menu and Assistance Placing an Order from the second drop down menu. I then entered my contact information and started the online chat.
Here is the cleaned up transcript from my online chat (I highlighted the important parts in red):
- Gerson: Thanks for chatting with Walmart.com! I’m Gerson and I’ll be assisting you today.
- Gerson: I am very sorry to know you orders have been cancelled! I am going to do all I can to find out why this happened, and I will take the steps to correct it.
- Grant: Perfect, thank you for your help :)
- Gerson: For security purposes, can you please provide your full billing address?
- Grant: (billing address)
- Gerson: Thanks for confirming your billing address! Grant, would you mind holding for a few moments while I am checking on this?
- Gerson: Grant, I’m so sorry your orders were cancelled. All orders go through an online security check for your protection to prevent unauthorized use of your money. Your order may have been canceled by mistake.
- Gerson: What I will do for you right away is sending an alert to the verification team, so they can check the error and make sure it won’t happen again.
- Grant: Perfect, that would be really be appreciated.
- Gerson: Grant the submission has been sent successfully. Once 30 minutes have passed, and once you’re ready to reorder, please use the same device/computer, same payment method, and the same Walmart.com account and email address.
- Grant: Ok, thank you. it is 1:30pm PT, so I will try again after 2:00pm PT.
- Gerson: Yes, please. This is what follows: the new order will be reviewed by our team, and the process could take up to 24 hours to be completed.
- Gerson: Once you have reordered, one of three things will happen: the order may be released and go on to process normally, or the validation team may call you to verify your order. Rarely, the order may still cancel after review. If it does cancel again, please let us know and we’ll escalate this further.
- Grant: Sounds good, thank you Gerson. Have a great day.
- Gerson: I appreciate your understanding, Grant. I am confident your new order will be processed without issues soon.
I set an alarm for 30 minutes and then went back to Walmart.com and placed the same exact order. Everything looked good until…
… exactly 1 minute later, my order was cancelled again! Are you kidding me, Walmart?! Just take my money and send me my egift card!
I went through the Walmart Help Center again and here is the cleaned up transcript from my second online chat (I highlighted the important parts in red):
- Andrea: Hi Grant! I’ll be more than happy to help you with your order. Tell me how can I help you, please?
- (insert full chat transaction from above)
- Grant: Hi Andrea, I just pasted my last conversation with Gerson from Walmart’s CS team
- Grant: My first order was cancelled, so I chatted with Gerson who said “Thank you for your patience. I am currently processing the escalation.”
- Grant: My second order got cancelled too, so I need help to fix this issue.
- Andrea: Your order was escalated by the previous agent?
- Grant: Yes, but I guess it needs to be escalated even higher.
- Grant: Please let me know if you need any other info from me to escalate the issue. Thank you.
- Andrea: Allow me a moment, please. I’m still checking what happen with your orders and if your order was escalated.
- Grant: Thank you Andrea.
- Andrea: The previous agent did not escalate your orders but I will escalate now and you need wait the 30 minutes and try again place the order.
- Grant: Ok, thank you Andrea. I can try to place the order again later today.
- Andrea: Sure, please try in 30 minutes in the same computer or device with the same payment method.
- Grant: Will do, its 2:52pm PT now, so I will try again around 3:30pm PT.
- Andrea: Yes, at this time you can try again place your order.
I set an alarm for 30 minutes and then went back to Walmart.com and placed the same exact order. I was cautiously optimistic that the third time was the charm…
Thankfully, 5 minutes later, I received an email from Walmart with my $50 Uber egift card. I loaded the egift card to my Uber account and all was good with the world.
Perseverance and a few online chats were the secret to get the order to go through. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have a great day everyone!