Walmart.com Orders Instantly Cancelled? Try Walmart’s Online Chat

Good morning everyone, I hope your week is going well.  A few weeks ago, American Express released an AMEX Offer for Walmart.com where you can receive a $10 statement credit after spending $50 or more.  Walmart.com sells several gift cards and egift cards, so I wanted to buy a $50 Uber egift card.  Shortly after placing my order, I received a confirmation email from Walmart.  All looked good until…

…exactly 1 minute later, I received an email from Walmart that my order was canceled.  I didn’t even have time to put my American Express credit card back into my wallet before my order was instantly cancelled.  So frustrating!

I decided to contact Walmart and see why my order was cancelled.  I went to Walmart’s Help Center and clicked the Walmart.com button at the bottom.

I selected Orders, Shipping & Tracking from the first drop down menu and Assistance Placing an Order from the second drop down menu.  I then entered my contact information and started the online chat.

Here is the cleaned up transcript from my online chat (I highlighted the important parts in red):

• Gerson: Thanks for chatting with Walmart.com! I’m Gerson and I’ll be assisting you today.
  • Gerson: I am very sorry to know you orders have been cancelled! I am going to do all I can to find out why this happened, and I will take the steps to correct it.
  • Grant: Perfect, thank you for your help :)
  • Gerson: For security purposes, can you please provide your full billing address?
  • Grant: (billing address)
  • Gerson: Thanks for confirming your billing address! Grant, would you mind holding for a few moments while I am checking on this?
  • Gerson: Grant, I’m so sorry your orders were cancelled. All orders go through an online security check for your protection to prevent unauthorized use of your money. Your order may have been canceled by mistake.
  • Gerson: What I will do for you right away is sending an alert to the verification team, so they can check the error and make sure it won’t happen again.
  • Grant: Perfect, that would be really be appreciated.
  • Gerson: Grant the submission has been sent successfully. Once 30 minutes have passed, and once you’re ready to reorder, please use the same device/computer, same payment method, and the same Walmart.com account and email address.
  • Grant: Ok, thank you. it is 1:30pm PT, so I will try again after 2:00pm PT.
  • Gerson: Yes, please. This is what follows: the new order will be reviewed by our team, and the process could take up to 24 hours to be completed.
  • Gerson: Once you have reordered, one of three things will happen: the order may be released and go on to process normally, or the validation team may call you to verify your order. Rarely, the order may still cancel after review. If it does cancel again, please let us know and we’ll escalate this further.
  • Grant: Sounds good, thank you Gerson. Have a great day.
  • Gerson: I appreciate your understanding, Grant. I am confident your new order will be processed without issues soon.

I set an alarm for 30 minutes and then went back to Walmart.com and placed the same exact order.  Everything looked good until…

… exactly 1 minute later, my order was cancelled again!  Are you kidding me, Walmart?!  Just take my money and send me my egift card!

I went through the Walmart Help Center again and here is the cleaned up transcript from my second online chat (I highlighted the important parts in red):

• Andrea: Hi Grant! I’ll be more than happy to help you with your order. Tell me how can I help you, please?
  • (insert full chat transaction from above)
  • Grant: Hi Andrea, I just pasted my last conversation with Gerson from Walmart’s CS team
  • Grant: My first order was cancelled, so I chatted with Gerson who said “Thank you for your patience. I am currently processing the escalation.”
  • Grant: My second order got cancelled too, so I need help to fix this issue.
  • Andrea: Your order was escalated by the previous agent?
  • Grant: Yes, but I guess it needs to be escalated even higher.
  • Grant: Please let me know if you need any other info from me to escalate the issue. Thank you.
  • Andrea: Allow me a moment, please. I’m still checking what happen with your orders and if your order was escalated.
  • Grant: Thank you Andrea.
  • Andrea: The previous agent did not escalate your orders but I will escalate now and you need wait the 30 minutes and try again place the order.
  • Grant: Ok, thank you Andrea. I can try to place the order again later today.
  • Andrea: Sure, please try in 30 minutes in the same computer or device with the same payment method.
  • Grant: Will do, its 2:52pm PT now, so I will try again around 3:30pm PT.
  • Andrea: Yes, at this time you can try again place your order.

I set an alarm for 30 minutes and then went back to Walmart.com and placed the same exact order.  I was cautiously optimistic that the third time was the charm…

Thankfully, 5 minutes later, I received an email from Walmart with my $50 Uber egift card.  I loaded the egift card to my Uber account and all was good with the world.

Perseverance and a few online chats were the secret to get the order to go through.  If you have any questions, please leave a comment below.  Have a great day everyone!

31 thoughts on “Walmart.com Orders Instantly Cancelled? Try Walmart’s Online Chat

1. Go

Same thing happened to me last night but I didn’t contact them. Are you a little worried about Amex offer not processing correctly? I got the “you just used your Amex offer” email after the first cancelled order.

It will be fine. After any Walmart.com order goes through and the purchase posts to your AMEX account, you will get the statement credit.

2. vinh

Hello,

I placed order then I cancel & order other items. Walmart cancel my order due to limit of quantity.
    But now I check my GC It show that “not in my system”

This you have experience about this

Thanks

3. Carl

Grant, just wanted to thank you for this post. I bought WMT GC’s last month during the Chase Pay promo with the intention of using them to buy Uber GCs when they went on sale again, which finally happened this week (I’d been checking daily!). Only problem is, Walmart.com is now auto cancelling GC orders paid for entirely with a GC. Ugh. But at least the email makes that reason clear. However, it’s still possible to use a GC as partial payment. Unfortunately, my account obviously got flagged after I did this the first time, so I was getting the messages shown here. I finally did chat with a rep who told me to try back in 30 mins. I did, and I was initially excited that there wasn’t a cancellation email within the first few mins. I went to bed and woke up to a completed order this morning. Woohoo! GC balance finally depleted and Uber account fully stocked. Thanks so much!

4. Joy

A similar situation happened to me while trying to order a TracFone card using a credit card. I chatted with an agent and she checked the order and said nothing was wrong with the account or card. After the second cancellation, I gave up and drove to Family Dollar and bought a card. It was not worth the hassle when a store selling the cards was less than 5 minutes away.

5. Grace Thomas

This has happened two me twice in the space of two weeks. The same that that you described, with the exception that I’ve had to wait 5 business days each time to get the funds back into my account after Walmart assuring me (via phone AND chat) that the funds weren’t removed. According to my online banking account, the funds WERE removed, held, or whatever they choose to call it. I won’t be ordering online through Walmart again. Amazon is much easier to deal with.

6. Barbara

I tried to order an ecard for my niece for school supplies. She’s a teacher. Last night on my AMEX and today on my VISA – both orders cancelled. Spoke to someone who followed the same script you listed, word for word. So a year later, Walmart is having the same issues ordering online. What could possibly be the problem? Very disappointing.

Who knows. I think Walmart is trying to prevent fraud so they don’t let any orders from new customers go through. So strange.

7. Jingjing

I ordered a laptop, but it keep cancelling because the information is not right! I called my bank and they say card is fine. So, what should I do? Keep questioning my phone number or my OWN home address and E-mail address?

8. H munster

Walmart is awful. They will go the way of k mart, sears and a dozen other brick and mortar stores.
    Walmarts demise is destined by their own poor management and terrible employees.

9. Mike

This has happened to me now December 2019 with two different orders in the space of ten days. First order an agent successfully placed it with a different credit card. Second order, four different credit cards and three hours of phone chat later, six orders for the same item were placed and immediately cancelled. I never was able to get the item. This is going on for two years and no one has fixed it???

10. Glen

Me too, most of my Walmart orders are approved then cancelled, multiple times mostly egift cards for my employees once it was an Apple watch. Place the order, my credit card removes the money from my account, get a confirmation from Walmart online and via email, then they later cancel the order. Today, I spent 1.5 hours on the phone from Customer Service to Customer Resolution to “Management Something..forgot the specific title. Anyway, the absolute saddest CS complete nonsensical answers the whole way, so I had to keep proving to them what was accurate or giving logical scenarios in other purchasing experiences to help them see the light. Ex: “egift cards are limited to to $200” — well, no the order you have been approving and cancelling is for $450 and on the website it says for $5-$500. or another example : “Have you tried sending the ecard to yourself and then forwarding it on to the recipient?” well, on your site it asks for my info and the recipients email address and in purchase on any site you send it to the person you want to give it to. On and on, some of it hilarious, crazy stuff – perhaps only because I have experience? The final resolution ens up being : for egift cards set up a corporate account and wait 2 days. I told her I was pretty sure that is not going to solve the issue corporate account since I had the same issue with an Apple Watch purchase in July. I did set up the account but I am not holding my breath. The 3rd level manager then suggested I go to the store to buy what I need. wow, the store did not have the Apple Watch so I ordered online, to send an egift card, purchase online is part of the deal :) crazy stuff….oh well, nice to know it is not just me. At the end, I asked so this is it, final answer, the best customer resolution is wait for 2 days and try again? “yes” she said. I gave a nice long pause, hoping there was more but crickets. So, I replied, Well, thank you for spending the last 1.5 with me, She said, “you’re welcome” Makes me so proud of my Customer Service Team…

11. Justin Manire

Hello, I’ve been trying to purchase a $20 psn digital card, it processes, then cancels and refunds my gift card, and no idea why

I’m not sure why that is happening, but the best thing you can do is contact Walmart customer service via live chat and they should be able to help you.

12. Marian Hamel

Same thing happened to me yesterday and the problem has still not been resolved. I called, I chatted and I email. Walmart needs to improve on their customer service!

13. MoiraPrime

I just dealt with them myself. Purchase item, it gets canceled, 2 day hold on my bank account… so I can’t “reorder” when they tell me to the first time, so when it goes away, I contact support. They “look into it” and tell me to try again, same thing, new 2 day hold on my account. I don’t just have infinite available balance lying around to reorder the damn thing. The support rep tells me it says my billing info doesn’t match the card, but it’s literally giving me a bank notification that it’s approved AND putting a hold on my account…. and this same payment info + billing info works on other retailers like amazon. They want me to “call their billing department” NO Screw this. I’m done.

Hi MP, I’m sorry about that. Walmart’s system and customer support reps are not very useful / helpful. If possible, try to go into Walmart to order the items. Otherwise, stick to using Amazon for the items you need.

14. Net

Placed an order with Walmart.com on Friday, received the confirmation email moments later. However on Saturday, I received a voicemail from a rep asking me to email them back a verification number that was left on my voicemail, or else my order will be canceled. Needless to say, I’m very leery about doing so. Has anyone else encountered this?

Hmm, that sounds suspicious. Try calling Walmart customer service directly and see if there is an issue with your recent order. Let me know what happens. Good luck.

Got something to say?