Good morning everyone.  With last week’s news about the demise of the City National Bank CNB Crystal Visa Infinite Credit Card, I needed to find a replacement credit card that offered the $100 Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit.  With this benefit, you get $100 off roundtrip, domestic flights for 2 or more passengers on select airlines (excludes low cost airlines).  This benefit can be used an unlimited amount of times.  I used to have this benefit when I had the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card, but I downgraded to the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card a few years ago.  The good news is that the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card is still available, but only as an upgrade option from the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card.

$100 off 2 roundtrip domestic tickets with the Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit

I called Chase and asked to upgrade my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card to the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card.  The rep said that I needed to have a $10,000 credit limit to upgrade to a Visa Infinite credit card.  She asked if I would like to request a credit limit increase.  No thank you, but I did ask if I could move some of my credit limit from my old Chase Hyatt Credit Card.  She said that was possible, so I moved $5,000 from my old Chase Hyatt Credit Card to my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card.

Side note: I only keep my old Chase Hyatt Credit Card for the free night certificate – my credit card has a $75 annual fee.  We use my wife’s Chase World of Hyatt Credit Card for our Hyatt expenses – her credit card has a $95 annual fee.

The rep was able to process the $5,000 credit limit transfer from my old Chase Hyatt Credit Card to my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature Credit Card.  She then processed my upgrade to the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card and read off a lengthy disclosure about the new credit card.  She said my account number would not change and I would receive my new credit card in the next 3-5 business days.  For the record, I had to manually change the nickname from Marriott Boundless to Ritz Carlton in my Chase online account.

A few days after the upgrade, I logged into my Chase online account and noticed a $71.28 credit on my new JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card.  The credit represents a prorated annual fee refund (similar to the prorated annual fee refund I recently received on my downgraded Citi Rewards+ Credit Card).  $71.28 / $95.00 = 75%, so I received a 75% refund on my $95 annual fee.  I assume the $450 annual fee for the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card is going to post soon.  Let’s see what I get for the $450 annual fee by clicking on the See Details link.

The Rewards Detail page doesn’t have much info, so I also looked at chase.com/ritzcarlton.  Here are the highlights for the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card:

Hotel Benefits

• 6x at Marriott; 3x on airline tickets, rental cars, and restaurants; 2x everywhere else (more details)
  • Free night certificate at Marriott properties that cost up to 50,000 points (more details)
  • $100 hotel credit at Ritz Carlton or St. Regis when staying 2 nights or longer (more details)
  • 3 upgrades to the Ritz-Carlton Club Level (more details)
  • Free Gold Elite Status; earn Diamond Elite Status with $75,000 in yearly spend (more details)

Travel Benefits

• $300 annual travel credit that can be used for airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet / entertainment; in-flight meals (more details)
  • $100 Global Entry reimbursement (more details)
  • Visa Infinite $100 Discount Air Benefit (more details)
  • Priority Pass Select membership (more details)
  • Rental car privileges at National, Avis and Silvercar (more details)

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, my main reason for upgrading to the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card was the $100 Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit.  You need to enter your 16 digit credit card number on visadiscountair.com/ritzcarltoncard.  I tried to access the Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit website a few minutes after I upgraded, but my credit card number was not in the system yet.

3 days later, I tried again and it worked.  Therefore, you may need to wait a few days after you upgrade to have access to the Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit website.

If you have any questions about upgrading to the JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card or regarding the $100 Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit, please leave a comment below.  Have a great day everyone!

43 thoughts on “Why Did I Upgrade my Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa Signature to JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite?

1. Mark

I upgraded 6 months ago and the reps cannot confirm whether I will receive a 35k or 50k free night certificate this time around. ‍♂️

Interesting, the free night certificate should post within 8 weeks of when your annual fee was charged. Did you already pay your annual fee when you completed the upgrade?

Hmm, sometimes when you product change a credit card mid year, the annual fee and credit card benefits have wildly different posting dates.

2. Mike

Hey man, I know SEO is important, but can you please try to avoid keyword stuffing so much? It seriously makes the posts next to unreadable. I’m actually reading your articles less because of it.

Also, speaking as someone who owns a blog, it’s not as helpful in google rankings as you think.

Thank you Dan, but I’m not sure how much longer this credit card will still be around. If you want it, I recommend upgrading sooner rather than later.

3. tjp74

I love this card… I got this card years ago when it was available with 2 free nights cert. I’ve got my wife to apply when it was available with 3(!) free nights as a signup bonus. Good old days. Had a free 5 night stay at Ritz Carton Kapalua. I ended up keeping mine for the value of visa air discount. It can get pretty crazy. Sometimes Alaska has short haul sale out of new Paine Field near my house (40 min north of Seatac) and round trip saver fare often goes below $100 per ticket. On recent PAE to PDX route, it was about $70 round trip. Bought 2 pairs at $140 each for my family of 4, with $100 discount per pair, each ticket ended up costing just $20 each. and Alaska gives you min 500 miles per segment so on this trip, each of us earned 1k miles each. That’s like buying alaska miles at 2cent per mile and flying for free. Need I say more?
    plus no annual fee on authorized user and each users can get priority pass with ‘unlimited’ guest. As long as they keep the benefit, I will gladly renew this card.

You are definitely getting great use out of your Ritz Carlton CC! I originally signed up for the CC when the sign up bonus was 140,000 Marriott points. That was my largest sign up bonus ever. I got tired of trying to game the system with the $300 airline reimbursement credit so that is why I downgraded to the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless CC. Times change, I’m married now, so I love taking advantage of the $100 Visa Infinite discount air benefit. Plus paying for seat upgrades and the occasional checked bag can be reimbursed :)

2. Biggie F

I’ll just pile on here with two other reasons I really dig this card:

1. Primary auto coverage (we don’t have Chase Sapphire cards, and with the Chase Business Ink you always have to ask yourself whether, with a big claim, you could honestly tell the adjuster it was a business trip).

2. Same CID number on same-numbered cards with AUs. In the two-player game, where you are the responsible player and are often doing stuff in P2’s accounts, it is wonderful to be able to look at your Chase Ritz-Carlton card and pull these numbers. Example: Booking AA award tickets, where even the annoying $5.60 per leg fees have to be billed to a credit card with the mileholder’s name on it.

1. Biggie F

Apologies/warning: In my post just above, for some reason there is a word that has a link associated — I didn’t put it there; or at least I didn’t mean to put it there — but it is there. When I clicked it, it went to a random travel site, so I think it is harmless. Anyhow, mea culpa.

1. Biggie F

The 3-digit code on the back by the signature. Maybe I’m calling it by the wrong name. So many acronyms in this business!

1. Points ForFour

I think I’m going to apply for the Bonvoy Bold (player two got a SUB for 50k points after spending 2K) and then upgrade/product change to the Ritz after the 12 month waiting period

4. Sophia

How soon can you product change? I applied for chase bonvoy card last month and in the process of completing the minimum spend. Thanks

5. Bill

Forgive me, is this the only way to get the Ritz card? I googled it and it looks like you can still apply. Ornis it a different product with a similar name? Thanks!

As far as I know, upgrading is the only way to get the Ritz Carlton CC. What link are you seeing that shows you can still apply directly for this CC?

1. Bill

Apologies, it was just a Marriott landing page with the card info and a login button for existing users I think. I thought it was a button to apply haha. Oh well, thanks

6. Pingback: Unboxing my Upgraded JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card: Card Art & Welcome Letter

7. Kay

I really want this card now because of the CNB nerf. Do you recommend that I even apply for the Marriot Bonvoy Boundless because it seems like you have a feeling that this card will be killed as well.

If you don’t already have a Chase Marriott Bonvoy CC, I don’t think you will be able to apply for one and then immediately upgrade to the Ritz Carlton CC. I believe you need to wait 12 months from getting the Chase Marriott Bonvoy CC and then upgrading. A lot can happen in a year.

Don’t use up a 5/24 slot unless you really want a Chase Marriott Bonvoy CC in the first place. Lots of better CC out there to get.

8. Pingback: Upgraded JPMorgan Chase Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite Credit Card $300 Annual Travel Credit for 2019 Still Available

Got something to say?