Advertiser Disclosure: Travel with Grant is an independent, advertising-supported web site. Travel with Grant has financial relationships with many of the cards mentioned here, and is compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program. Travel with Grant has not reviewed all available credit card offers in the marketplace. Advertiser partners include American Express, Bank of America, Barclaycard, Chase, Citibank, Discover, U.S. Bank, and Wells Fargo.
Good afternoon everyone, I have some very excited news to share. Starting today, Travel with Grant is moving to the Boarding Area home page, permanently! Do you see the new Boarding Area banner at the top of the page? It’s official!
For those that don’t know, Travel with Grant was born on May 1, 2013. The idea of starting a travel blog came to me as I was reading The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau (Amazon) on my way home from FTU DC (the first FTU DC in Tysons Corner, Virginia). Travel with Grant was the first blog I ever created and I had never touched WordPress before then.
Fast forward 21 months later and here I am… on the home page of Boarding Area!
In my first month of blogging, I received 3,314 total page views. Nowadays, I receive that many page views in a single day. My next goal is to break the 100,000 page views mark in a single month. February is going to be tough since there are only 28 days this month.
I thought it would be fun to document some of the interesting things that have happened over the last 21 months. Does anyone remember my first rotating gif banner?
I then had a friend created Travel with Grant logo 1.0, which was printed on a few custom t-shirts from Vista Print (I still wear these shirt to meetups and travel conferences).
Then a few months ago, a reader created Travel with Grant logo 2.0 and I couldn’t be happier. It is much cleaner and more elegant than I thought possible.
Ok, enough with the banners, let’s get to some interesting stats:
- On May 20, 2013, I wrote about Google Wallet and started sending pennies to people through Google Wallet (I received lots of traffic from Frequent Miler’s site that day).
- On July 2, 2013, I wrote $500 Visa Gift Cards are Back at Office Depot! which received a lot of attention, but that deal lasted less than 24 hours, then Office Depot switched to cash only for $500 Visa gift cards.
- On July 4, 2013, I was interview by Million Mile Secrets and my post If this 23 year old “without a real job” can travel the world, there is no excuse for you not to travel too! generated a lot of traffic.
- On July 22, 2013, I wrote about Loading Vanilla Reload Cards which is my most read article and has received over 43,000 total page views.
- As you can see from the chart below, July 2013 was a very good month for me. That jump-started my blogging career and I slowly continued to build my traffic month by month.
- A year later on July 2, 2014, I wrote Travel with Grant Joins Prior2Boarding (BoardingArea’s Sister Site) which was the start of my Boarding Area relationship with Randy Peterson and the House of Miles team.
- On September 19, 2014, I attended BACon (Boarding Area Conference) in Las Vegas with 80 other Boarding Area and Prior2Boarding bloggers and got a change to meet all the other bloggers who are a part of the Boarding Area family.
- On September 29, 2014, I was the featured blogger on Boarding Area that week and wrote Look Mom, I’m on the Home Page of Boarding Area and my Chicago FTU Advanced Review. My brief appearance on Boarding Area resulted in a 34% increase in traffic for October. I did not want my week-long appearance on Boarding Area to be over, but when it finally ended, I vowed to get back as soon as possible.
- On January 7, 2015, I visited Randy Peterson and the entire House of Miles team in Colorado for a short day of learning and brainstorming. The Manufactured Spending category on Boarding Area was born after my visit.
- A week later on January 15, 2015, I moved from the BlueHost server to the Boarding Area server since BlueHost was experiencing major technical issues and I have been very happy with my new home (my virtual spot on the server is nestled between Frequent Miler and View from the Wing).
- Last but not least, today is February 9, 2015 and I am finally on the Boarding Area home page! My goal from the very beginning was to make it “big” and become a part of Boarding Area. My next goal is to break 100,000 page views in a single month, then to break 150,000 page views in a single month, which should qualify me for the Boarding Area 5K Club (I need to receive at least 5,000 page views in a 7 consecutive day period).
Enough about me though. I want to thank each and every one of you for your comments, questions, emails, tweets, and the occasional Facebook message. You guys keep me going, day in and day out. Thank you and keep up the great work, I’m counting on you all!
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Have a great day everyone!