Good afternoon/evening everyone. I know what you are all thinking… how long does it take for Club Carlson to post the 40,000 bonus anniversary points to my account? That is a great question and I am happy to say you are in the right place to find out. I have both the US Bank Club Carlson Visa Signature Credit Card and the US Bank Club Carlson Business Credit Card, so I can share those 2 data points with you. Up first, let’s look at the US Bank Club Carlson Visa Signature Credit Card. The $75 annual fee posted on November 2, 2016…
Good morning everyone, I hope your weekend is off to a great start. I am home in San Francisco this weekend and it is supposed to rain all weekend. Therefore, I plan on posting and scheduling several blog posts over the next 48 hours. This first post is from my close friend Jim who is a long time traveler and travel hacker. We actually have a trip to South America together next weekend (more info to come). He was recently on a delayed United Airlines flight and he shared his experience with me regarding claiming 600 Euros (~$633). Enjoy the guest post!
Good morning everyone, I’m sorry for the delay, but I have been diligently thinking about my 2017 travel predictions. I am going to channel my inner Nostradamus to come up with some outrageous travel predictions for 2017. Doctor of Credit has a good resource for all other 2017 travel predictions.
Disclaimer: I have made some travel predictions in previous years and I am more often wrong than right, but that losing streak has not dampered my prediction spirit. To see how bad I am at making predictions, please read A Look Back at my 2016 Predictions (Airlines, Hotels, Credit Cards & MS). I consider myself an optimistic pessimist (I prepare for the worst, but hope for the best), so these travel predictions will sound depressing.
- Southwest seems bent on making the Companion Pass very difficult to get unless you fly Southwest every week. I believe credit card signup bonuses will no longer count toward the Companion Pass and Southwest might kill the whole concept of the Companion Pass entirely or switch to a certificate program similar to the Alaska Airlines companion fare or Virgin America companion ticket.
- Other airline credit cards will adopt the Alaska Airlines companion fare (you pay full price and your companion pays up to $120) or the Virgin America companion ticket (you pay full price and your companion pays full price minus $150).
Good afternoon everyone, I hope your
Monday Tuesday is going well. I am writing this post about JetBlue while in-flight on Virgin America from JFK to SFO. I just received an email from Award Wallet letting me know that my JetBlue TrueBlue points balance increased. Whenever I see a large change in miles/points/cash back, I like to investigate to see what happened. Here are the facts in this instance:
- I booked a JetBlue flight from Long Beach (LGB) to New York City (JFK) on November 7 using 23,100 JetBlue TrueBlue points (flight departed on December 27).
- While booking the flight, I paid 1,000 JetBlue TrueBlue points for the Even More Space upgrade (extra legroom seats near the front of the plane) – I believe you need to be JetBlue Mosaic to get this points option, since normally seat upgrades cost up to $99.
- I was approved for the Barclays JetBlue Plus Credit Card on December 6 and received the credit card in the mail on December 12.
- I took the JetBlue flight from LGB to JFK on December 27 and the rebated points posted on December 28.
Good afternoon everyone, greetings from New York City. I am writing to you from
Times Square my friend’s apartment in the Upper East Side. I wanted to be the first to wish you all a very happy, safe, and travel-filled New Years and all the best in 2017. By popular demand (thank you Robert), I am going to recap my 2016 predictions (Part 1 and Part 2). Long story short, this is a very long post and almost all of my predictions were wrong, but if you want a good laugh, read through the post to see how wrong my 2016 predictions were. Enjoy!
Key: Miss = red; Score = green; and Miss / Score = black.
Southwest – Southwest points used to be worth 1.67 CPP, then they were worth 1.43 CPP, now with route variability, I have no idea how much Southwest points are worth. I wish Southwest points would be worth a fixed amount, maybe 1.5 CPP for all flights. I hope Southwest continues to announce new routes, especially a few routes from the West Coast to Hawaii. Lastly, for the last several year, credit card sign up bonus points have counted toward the Southwest Companion Pass. I think this might change in 2016.
Miss! Southwest points still do not have a fixed value due to route variability, but Southwest did add a few new routes (just not to Hawaii… yet). Southwest points earned from the credit card sign up bonus still count toward the 110,000 Southwest points needed for the Southwest Companion Pass.