Good afternoon everyone. Generally, at the end of the year, I like to review my travel predictions for the past year and make new predictions for the coming year. After a long streak of poor prediction performance (2018 prediction results, 2017 prediction results, and 2016 prediction results), I decided not to make any travel predictions for 2019. But my predictions are coming our of retirement / hibernation today. I really recommend reading the travel predictions that Stephen at Frequent Miler made, especially his top 5 predictions:
- Capital One To Add Virgin Atlantic As Travel Partner
- Amex Membership Rewards To Transfer To JetBlue On A 1:1 Basis
- Free Breakfast For IHG Spire Elite Members
- Citi To Allow Card Referrals
- Chase And/Or Amex To Increase Referral Limits
I am going to piggy back on his predictions and add a few of my own. So without further ado, here are my travel predictions for 2020
My 2020 Airline Predictions
- Alaska, American, Delta, or United will introduce a “Cash and Miles” payment option for award tickets. Clarification: This is not to be confused with Delta’s “Pay with Points” option where you get 1 CPP for each Delta SkyMiles for paid flights. I’m thinking more along the lines of the way British Airways and Avianca do it for award tickets.
- Allegiant Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and Sun Country will announce a merger, but I’m not sure who will merge with who.